Pipe Bursts ? Water damage What you should know ? York PA
Don't let broken pipes leaving you hanging around.
According to Insure.com, water damage is among the most common causes for homeowners' insurance claims--and one of the biggest sources of confusion. If a flooding river inundates your home, your insurance is unlikely to cover the damage. But if the flood comes from within the home itself, the result of a burst pipe, you can breathe easier: Your policy may probably will cover the damage to your property.
In general, water damage from a burst pipe inside your home should be covered by a standard homeowners' insurance policy. If an outside pipe bursts and causes damage, that should be covered, too, though you must be able to demonstrate that the damage did indeed come from the burst pipe. If the insurer concludes that poor drainage--a non-covered maintenance problem--was the real culprit, your claim may be denied.
The New Springetts Castle Park
Helping within your community is fun!
Thankfully, buildings affected by fire, water, and mold aren’t the only places to which we go—when possible, we also like to get involved within the community. Recently, I was given the opportunity to volunteer for Springettsbury Township Parks and Rec assembling the new playground which is a replacement for the classic wood playground many of you enjoyed with your families throughout its nearly 3 decade life.
Having the chance to work with the highly-experienced team from General Recreation, Inc. was a real pleasure and a treasured experience. I only wish I could’ve helped more—and had the foresight to wear sunscreen on the sunniest, hottest day of the month.
While I, like many others, was sad to hear the old wooden playground was dismantled, the new playground has a fantastic layout and seems like it’ll provide lots of fun for a new generation of families to enjoy for decades to come.
—Yuriy Demko (Disaster Specialist for SERVPRO of East York and Western Lancaster Counties)
Factors to consider when faced with a biohazard cleanup
If you are faced with a biohazard cleanup, our professional, compassionate staff can guide you through the process.
If you are faced with a biohazard cleanup, such as a trauma scene, sewage backup, or hoarding situation, here are some key factors to consider:
- Avoid exposure to any contaminants present. There are serious health risks associated with exposure to blood, bodily fluids, animal waste, sewage, and other biohazardous materials. Treat all potentially hazardous materials as if they are contaminated.
- Assess ways to secure your personal safety and contain the situation, such as turning off the HVAC system and avoiding standing water or sagging ceilings.
- Before attempting to clean up a trauma scene yourself, particularly when it involves a loved one, consider the long-term mental and emotional consequences of doing so. The cleanup process can be emotional and traumatic in itself. Biohazard cleanup professionals are trained to deal with trauma situations with compassion and discretion.
- If you would like assistance with a biohazard cleanup, our trained professionals can assess the situation, provide a no-cost estimate, and clean the affected areas and dispose of the waste in accordance with federal and state regulations.
Spring Cleaning Chore Checklist
By Cynthia Ewer, Author of
Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Organized
March winds blow, telling us that Spring is on the way!
Warming breezes scour the last of winter from house and garden. Spring rain awakens the earth and calls forth new life.
Meet the rising sap with a new broom. Spring clean indoors and out to prepare home and hearth for the return of warm weather.
Our Spring cleaning chore checklist will help you take care of important seasonal chores and welcome Spring to an organized home.
Around The House:
- Schedule a family garage clean-out. Create efficient storage for sporting goods, camping equipment, recreational vehicles, and garden tools. You'll have the jump on summer fun!
- Inspect, clean and repair outdoor furniture.
- Tour house exterior and grounds. Make a list of any needed seasonal maintenance.
- Inspect the roof for winter damage: leaks, missing or broken shingles or tiles. Arrange for any needed repairs early; roofing contractors can be hard to find during summer's construction season.
- Use a sunny Saturday to scrape, prime and paint peeling spots on trim or woodwork. You'll protect wood against Summer's heat and moisture--and prevent a more difficult paint job come fall.
- Clear away any remaining dead foliage and weeds from beds and lawn. New growth will be protected from damage or disease.
- Begin major Spring landscaping projects. Spring's the time to put in shrubs and trees, but check with your local extension office for specific planting recommendations for your area.
The Inside Story:
- Changing seasons, changing clothes. Hold a family wardrobe check as you bring out warm-weather clothing. Sort winter clothing for discards and donations before you store.
- Hold a garage sale! Declutter house and garage to turn trash into cash. Build your yard sale savvy here.
- Pick a weekend and enlist the family for Spring cleaning. Many hands make light work! Reward the team with dinner at a pizza parlor.
- Wash windows inside and out.
- While at the window area, check drapes and window treatments. Vacuum any dust; send dirtier drapes to the cleaners.
- Move furniture and vacuum beneath it.
- Arrange for a spring inspection of cooling systems. Don't wait for the first hot day! Air conditioning firms will give better service when they're not busy.
- When the weather warms, deactivate heat system humidifiers. Check the system manual for instructions on how to power down for the summer.
- Drain sediment from hot water heaters.
- Call our office: 717-846-6100
- Visit us: 30 W. Sunhill Rd. Manheim, PA 17545
- Visit our website: www.SERVPROEastYork.com
How Ready Are You?
When a disaster strikes, moments matter and pass more quickly than before, especially if one isn’t prepared. Preparation could be as simple as knowing the locations of utility shut offs such as electric, gas, or water and emergency contact numbers. A step beyond that is having that information at your fingertips instead of sitting in a drawer in the office—which may not be reachable in the event of a fire or damaged by flooding.
These situations are precisely why SERVPRO created the free Ready Plan app for Android and iOS. With it, you can access all your emergency information instantly when disaster strikes. The setup is simple, intuitive, and highly customizable to what your individual needs are. Want to share emergency information with a house or baby-sitter? Need immediate response because a pipe or radiator broke? All available at the push of a button.
Getting prepared doesn’t have to be hard, download the free Ready Plan app today and see just how easy it is to create a plan for whatever happens. More information and PC access available at ready.SERVPRO.com. If you have any questions or need help getting prepared, please e-mail me at yuriy@SERVPRO10454.com.
Dryer Ducts — Often Ignored Until It's Too Late
A small handful of lint that had to be removed prior to inserting the cleaning wand.
What can happen if you forget about regular duct cleaning.
In the hustle and bustle of daily life it’s easy to forget about small, regular things that need maintenance or cleaning. After month of talking to home and business owners, I’ve realized that far too many people ignore their ducts entirely until the ducts become so clogged they think their dryer is broken. Those who think their dryer is broken are the fortunate ones—the unfortunate ones often experience something far worse, a structure fire from which it can take months to rebuild and recover.
Even though it may seem arduous to some, most homes only need to have their ducts cleaned annually or semi-annually—depending on amount of dryer usage—usually in the spring and/or fall.
As you can see in the photo, taken at an apartment complex in which the previous owners ignored this vital cleaning for years, this building was at sever risk for a fire. Furthermore, this issue caused them to not only go through dryers often but also waste energy as tenants were running dryer cycle times of over 4 hours a load! I only wish we could’ve gotten a picture of it all to demonstrate how serious the issue was as our crews pulled and vacuumed out over 3-5 cubic feet of compacted lint from each dryer duct! Thankfully, the new management was more diligent.
CHRISTMAS - A time for reflection
Warm thoughts this Christmas season
Christmas is two worlds – the visible and the invisible, the endless excess and the spirit of Christmas. We like a little excess and flamboyance, but sometimes find that the best way to avoid the commercialism of Christmas is to infuse the excess with the true spirit of the celebration. Excess doesn't mean spending lots of money. There is nothing cheaper or funnier than seeing who can make the longest paper chain On wet December weekends.
The team of SERVPRO of Western Lancaster and East York took the time to slow down and celebrate the year that was. The business of specialized cleaning is not everyone's cup of tea and we see customers at their lowest point, when they feel like the world around them is crumbling. Our team of dedicated certified production techs work to make everyone of these people feel like they are in good hands and all will be well. Christmas time for us is a time to thank our staff for the work that they do. There are times that we are not as appreciated. There are times that we have to take on the stress of the clients. We do it with a smile and wish all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS. Hope the New Year brings love Joy and laughter with your near ones and family.
Six Signs Water Damage Is Ruining Your Foundation
You can trust SERVPRO of Western Lancaster County with all of your water damage needs.
Water Damage in East York County Can Be Restored by SERVPRO
Water damage may be fairly simple to spot, especially if you are a hands-on homeowner, who fixes and repairs things as they crop up. The problem is that water damage to foundations is not an easy water damaging problem to identify.
Nevertheless, the key to minimizing the extent of the damage is always to spot it quickly and address it as soon as possible. How are you supposed to achieve this if you don’t know that there is water damage in the first place? This guide, provided by SERVPRO, to some of the most common symptoms of water damage within foundations will help you spot any problem areas.
Symptom One: Water Below Ground
If you are routinely dealing with standing water in the basement, you are probably getting a little stressed out. As a consolation, however, it does mean that you can be reasonably sure of a foundation problem. Standing water only accumulates and sits in a basement if drainage systems are not functioning properly.
Symptom Two: Overly Damp Soil
If you speculate that there could be an issue with moisture, take a look at the soil around the foundations of the property. If it is unusually wet (even after days without rain), there is a good chance that groundwater is seeping into the foundation.
Symptom Three: Water in the Crawlspace
Standing water or condensation and moisture building up within a crawlspace is a pretty good sign that something is wrong with the foundation, circulation of air, lack of adequate insulation, or burst pipe. If it is too damp in this area, the quality of the air in your house can decline, and it may give off a musty odor.
Symptom Four: Sagging and Bowing Floors
A lot of homeowners walk up and down uneven floors for years before they spot a problem. You can test the level of your own with nothing more than a small rubber ball. Unless you know of a reason the foundation is or could be unlevel and not caused by water damage, imbalances should be checked out immediately. They can indicate soil erosion due to water.
Symptom Five: Slimy Patches Outside
When the water from rains and storms is draining away from the property in a secure and efficient manner, it never spends enough time close to the building to have a lasting impact. On the other hand, if groundwater is pooling, you may be able to spot slimy and moldy patches on the outer walls of your home.
Symptom Six: Mal-functioning Doorframes or windows
This might sound like a surprising sign, but if your doorframes used to open and close correctly, but have recently started to stick, the problem could be moisture related. It may be a sign that the doorframes have begun to warp, from excessive water absorption.
Call SERVPRO of Eastern York County for any unwanted water damaging situations that may occur on your property. We are experts in water removal, cleanup, and water damage restoration. We will recondition your home "Like it never even happened."
We’re Highly Trained Water Damage Specialists
As leaders in the water damage industry, SERVPRO of Eastern York County has advanced expertise and training, not to mention a tremendous amount of hands-on experience. We proudly serve the communities of York, Red Lion, Dover, Felton and more.. Call us 24/7 for help at (717) 846-6100
Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Eastern York County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 717-846-6100
Restoring Your Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
SERVPRO of Eastern York County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.